The 4th of July is almost upon us! Celebrate it with healthy food, unique recipes made just for the fourth! Appetizer, salad, main dish, and dessert! These easy recipes will take make your party one to remember. In addition to being super tasty, they're healthy too.
[Appetizer] American Flag Vegetable Tray
- 1 Cauliflower
- 3 Cucumbers
- 1 tbsp Dill, Fresh
- 1 Grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Onion, Dried
- 2 tbsp Parsley, Fresh
- 10 Radishes
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- Baking & Spices
- 6 Drops Food coloring, Blue
- 2 Red peppers
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cookie sheet, Large
- 8 oz Light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour cream, Fat-Free
- 1 Star fondant cutter, Small
- Tools & Equipment
- 1 Square container
[Salad] Potato Salad with Creamy Pesto Dressing
It is Perfect for a quick lunch or as a side for grilled chicken or fish.
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, peeled if desired, and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- diced red onion (can substitute sliced green onions)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh herbs, for garnish
[Main Dish] Sriracha Glazed Chicken Skewers with Peaches and Basil
- 8-16 bamboo skewers (You may want to use 2 per skewer for extra stability.)
- 1½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- One lime, juiced and zested
- One tablespoon plus two teaspoons honey
- One tablespoon Sriracha (plus more for serving)
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds total)
- Two peaches, cut into 16ths
- 24 fresh basil leaves
Start by soaking the bamboo skewers in a shallow dish filled with water for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice and zest, honey, and Sriracha. Briefly set aside.
Slice your chicken breasts into approximately 1-inch chunks.
Place them in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Slice your peaches into 16ths. To break it down: Cut each peach in half (removing the pit). Then slice each half into four segments. Slice each of those four segments in half.
Once the chicken is marinated, it's time to assemble the skewers. Thread a piece of chicken, followed by a basil leaf, and a peach segment onto a soaked bamboo skewer. (Fold large basil leaves in half before threading them onto the skewers.)
Repeat this pattern about three times per skewer.
[dessert] Gluten Free Fruit and Yogurt Granola Cups
- Three tablespoons light brown sugar
- Three tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted
- Cooking oil spray
- One egg
- One 12-ounce bag Udi's Gluten Free Au Naturel Granola
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Fresh berries
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin with cooking oil spray.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut oil, and egg; stir. Add granola and stir to combine.
Spoon granola mixture into ten muffin cups, filling each ¾ full. With your fingers, press the granola into the muffin cups and create a small indentation in the middle of each granola cup. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes in the muffin tin before removing.
Once cooled, fill the muffin cups with yogurt and top with berries. Serve.
Have a lovely 4th of July and enjoy the fireworks!